Charles G. Davis, JD, CFP, CELA Contact Me
Charles G. Davis, is a graduate of St. John's School of Law. His practice focuses on clients with special needs including the elderly and those with disabilities. He is certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation and is a Certified Financial Planner" certificant.
Mr. Davis has published and lectured on the legal rights of individuals with disabilities and the elderly to consumers, their families, and to attorneys as part of both state and local continuing legal education programs. You may find his chapter "Financial, Estate and Trust Planning for Parents of a Child with Disabilities", in the New York State Bar Association publication: Representing People with Disabilities, Third Edition 2000.
As an out-growth of representing parents of children with disabilities, his practice now includes the representation of Not-For-Profit agencies which provide services to those in need including: Bikur Cholim of Rockland County, Inc., Camp Venture, Inc., Hamaspik of Rockland County, Inc., Hudsondale Industries, Ltd., Jewish Family Service of Rockland County, Inc., Joseph's Home, Inc., Loeb House, Inc., Rockland County Chapter of the NYS Association for Retarded Citizens, Rockland Independent Living Center, Inc., St. Dominic's Home, Tanglewood Acres Adult Home, Inc., V.O.T., Inc., Venture Foundation, Ltd., Yedei Chesid, Inc.
He has provided extensive representation of individuals and groups under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)and The New York State Education Law, inclusive of appearances before Committees on Special Education, Impartial Hearings, appeals to the Commissioner and the State Review Officer, and litigation in state and federal courts.
Charles has been in the forefront of the Community Residence Movement. He has represented numerous agencies in the development of residences for children and adults with special needs, including Commissioner's Hearings, Article 78 proceedings and Appeals. His efforts were acknowledged, when Loeb House, Inc., re-named its first Community Residence the "Charles G. Davis House". Through his efforts 100's of individuals have a safe and secure home in the community.
Although his first love is helping those who can't help themselves, he also has broad experience in real estate, including all areas of Residential and Commercial closings, mortgages and leases. He served for 10 years as a member and chairmen of the NYS Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code Board of Review for the Hudson Valley region.
He is a member of the following Associations and Committees: American Bar Association, Committee on Long Term Health Care Issues and Special Needs Trusts of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section. New York State Bar Association: Elder Law Section, Committee on Estate and Tax Planning. Rockland County Bar Association: Chairperson, Social Development Law Committee; Surrogate's Court & Estate Planning Practice Committee; and the Elder Law Committee. National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys: Trusts Special Interest Group. New York State and Rockland County Women's Bar Association. The Estate Planning Council of Rockland County, Inc. and The Financial Planners Association.
All Courts of the State of New York
Supreme Court of the United States of America
Federal Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Federal District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Federal District Court for the Southern District of New York
Financial and Estate Planning
Trusts and Estate Administration
Rights of Individuals with Disabilities
Special Education Law
Real Property Law
St. John's University, School of Law, Brooklyn, NY
State University of New York at Buffalo, NY
Bachelor of Arts
- Certified as an Elder Law Attorney (CELA) by the National Elder Law
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP") certificant by the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards Foundation
American Bar Association:
Member: Committee on Long Term Health Care Issues, Including Special Needs Trust of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section; Family Law Section
New York State Bar Association:
Member: Elder Law Section, Committee on Estate and Tax Planning, Past Member: Committee on Mental and Physical Disability
Rockland County Bar Association:
Chairperson: Social Development Law Committee
Member: Surrogate's Court & Estate Planning Practice Committee
Member: Elder Law Committee
National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys:
Member: Trusts Special Interest Group
Rockland County Women's Bar Association
New York State Women's Bar Association
The Estate Planning Council of Rockland County, Inc.
The Financial Planning Association (FPA)
FPA of the Greater Hudson Valley
REVIEW MY PUBLICATIONS
REPRESENTATION OF CLIENTS
- Development of financial and estate plans, including the preparation of Wills, Revocable and Irrevocable Trusts, Medicaid Trusts and Asset Protection, Durable Powers of Attorney, Health Care Proxies and Living Wills.
- Specialized financial and estate planning for families of a child with a disability, inclusive of testamentary and inter vivos (living) Special Needs Trusts.
- Estate and Trust Administration, including probate proceedings.
- Development of specialized financial and estate plans for the elderly.
- All aspects of Elder Law including long term care and medicaid qualification planning.
- Guardianship proceedings for individuals with developmental disabilities and incapacitated adults in the Surrogates Court and the Supreme Court.
- Extensive representation of individuals and groups under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and the New York State Education Law, inclusive of appearances before Committees on Special Education, Impartial Hearings, appeals to the Commissioner and the State Review Officer, and litigation in state and federal courts.
- Representation of Not-For-Profit agencies in the development of Community Residences for disabled individuals and adult residential facilities including administrative, zoning and court appeals.
- Represented clients before various administrative agencies including: Department of Social Services, Human Rights, ADA and Unemployment administrative reviews; Social Security
- Administrative Reviews re: Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability benefits.
- Representation of children and adults with disabilities in the Family Court and criminal justice systems.
- Formation and representation of Not-For-Profit corporations.
NOT-FOR-PROFIT CLIENTS (Past & Present)
Bikur Cholim of Rockland County, Inc.
Camp Venture, Inc.
Hudsondale Industries, Ltd.
Jewish Family Service of Rockland County, Inc.
Josephs Home, Inc.
Loeb House, Inc.
Provider Hamaspik of Rockland County, Inc.
Provider-Hamaspik of Orange County, Inc.
Rockland County Association for the Learning Disabled, Inc.
Rockland County Chapter of the NYS Association for Retarded Citizens
Rockland Independent Living Center, Inc.
Rockland County Lyme Disease Support Group
St. Dominic's Home
Tanglewood Acres Adult Home, Inc.
Venture Foundation, Ltd.
Yedei Chesid, Inc.
LECTURER: Continuing Legal Education Programs
- N.Y.S. Bar Association, Disability Law Update, Administration and Taxation of Supplemental Needs Trusts (Spring 2001) - N.Y.S. Bar Association, Practical Skills: How to Start and Build a Law Practice, Law Office Equipment, Software and Systems (Spring 2001) - N.Y.S. Bar Association, The Legal Rights of Disabled Children, Representing People with Disabilities - N.Y.S. Bar Association: 1987 General Meeting: Financial and Estate Planning For The Disabled - Rockland County Bar Association: Elder Law - Rockland County Women's Bar Association - Ossining Bar Association
LECTURER: The Rights of Persons with Disabilities and Elder Law
- YOU - THE ADVOCATE, co-developer of the first conference in New York State on the community and educational rights of children with handicapping conditions. - AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT CONFERENCE: co-developer of the first county wide conference on the Americans with Disabilities Act. - Bank Street College of Education, New York City, New York - College of New Rochelle, New Rochelle, New York - Rockland Community College, Suffern, New York - St. John's University, Queens, New York - St. Thomas Aquinas College, Orangeburg, New York - The Churchill Center for Learning Disabilities, co-sponsored with New York University, New York, New York - Herbert H. Lehman College of the City University of New York Marist College, Poughkeepsie, New York -The Para-Educator Center for Young Adults at New York University - The Northeast Symposium on Learning Disabilities & Neurological Impairments, sponsored by the Rockland Association for the Learning Disabled - "Why Can't Bobby Pay Attention, Current Issues and Answers in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder" Continuing Education Panel. Mental Health Association of Rockland County, Inc., televised over TKR Cable
IN-SERVICE TRAINING SEMINARS FOR PROFESSIONALS - Rockland County Community Mental Health Center - Clarkstown Central School District - East Ramapo Central School District - Rockland Children's Psychiatric Center - Rise East School - Rockland County Association for Retarded Children (School) - Rockland County Department of Social Services - Westchester County Medical Center, Mental Retardation Institute, University-Affiliated Facility Interdisciplinary Training Program - N.Y.S. Education Department sponsored training program for New York City School District psychologists and social workers at the City University Graduate Center - Head Start programs of Rockland County - N.Y.S. OMRDD, Letchworth Developmental Disabilities Services - N.Y.S. Appellate Division, 2nd Department training program for Family Court Law Guardians - Rockland County Probation Department 1998 Summer Drug Recognition Evaluation Team Workshop, Sponsored by Orange Cunty Council on Alcoholism and Orange/Ulster BOCES Institute for Non-Profits - Jewish Family Service of Rockland County, Inc. in-service for Certified Social Workers
PRESENTATIONS TO PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS (Partial Listing)
- Mid-Hudson Chapter National Association of Social Workers - Rockland County Psychological Society - Language, Speech and Hearing Association of Rockland County - Tax & Estate Planning Council of Rockland County, Inc. - Rockland County Speech and Language Society - Society of Professional Engineers, Rockland County Chapter - N.Y.S. 1987 Annual Association of Towns Meeting - Rockland County Legal Secretaries Association - Rockland County Chapter of the New York State Building Officials Conference - The Council For Exceptional Children, Chapter 615 Sullivan Council of Developmental Service Providers Rockland Womens Business Network
PRESENTATIONS TO CONSUMERS (Partial Listing)
- Rockland County Association for Retarded Children - Putnam County Association for Retarded Children - Westchester County Association for Retarded Children - Ramapo Central School District Special Education PTA - North Rockland Central School District Special Education PTA - Clarkstown Central School District, Parents of Children in Special Education - Rockland County Hearing Impaired Association - New York State Head Injury Association - Rockland County Friends of Autistic Children, Inc. - Rockland County Mental Health Association - Rockland County Association for Children with Learning Disabilities - FAMILYA, Families of Mentally Ill Young Adults - Parents of residents at Abbot House MR/DD Community Residences - Parents of residents at Greer-Woodycrest - Parents of residents at Camp Venture, Inc. Community Residences - Parents of students in the Rockland County BOCES - Parents of children in Jawonio Programs - Parents of students in Rise East School - Parents of residents at the Margaret Chapman School - Parents of residents of Community Residences operated by St. Dominic's - Parents of students at Blythdale Union Free School District - Parents of students at the Mamaroneck Public Schools experimental pre-kindergarten program - New York Association of Learning Disabled - Tough Love of Rockland County - The Speak Easy International Foundation, Inc. - "1981 - Year of Disabled Persons" Lecture Series New York State Office of Advocate for the Disabled - Westchester County Medical Center, Mental Retardation Institute - Prader-Willi Syndrome Parent Support Group - N.Y.S. Association of the Mentally Ill - 1986 International Conference, Association for Children with Learning Disabilities, (full day lay advocacy in special education training program and two further workshops) - 1985 Consortium Convention, N.Y.S. Association of Teachers of the Handicapped, Inc.,The Council for Exceptional Children, American Assn. of Mental Deficiency - New Concepts For Living, Inc. - League of Women Voters of Rockland County - The Mended Hearts, Inc., Rockland Satellite - Parents Without Partners, Inc., Mid-Orange Chapter 643 - Family Support Group, Rockland Psychiatric Center - Family Support Network, Rockland Children's Psychiatric Center - Orange-Ulster Board of Cooperative Education Services PTA - Jawonio Family Support Group - Opengate Parents Advisory Committee - Regional Planning Group, Parent's Council of the Mental Retardation Institute - Brandeis University National Women's Committee - Rockland County Chapter Yedei Chesed, Inc., Parent's Symposium "Caring for the Developmentally Disabled Child" - YAI/Rockland County Association for the Learning Disabled - YWCA of White Plains & Central Westchester, Financial Planning Seminar for Families with Disabled Loved Ones - Brain Injury Association of New York State, Rockland County Chapter - Jewish Family Service of Rockland County, Inc. - Options for the Elderly, Children with Special Needs and the Educational Process - Venture Foundation, Ltd., Financial Planning in the New Millennium - Parent Support Network, Inc.
Stanger v. Ambach, 501 F. Supp. 1237, 1243 (SD NY 1980) Successfully represented twelve autistic children from across New York State who sought to remain at Behavior Research Institute in Rhode Island despite attempt by State to withdraw children without due process.
Martin A. v. Ambach, U. S. District Court, Southern District, New York, successfully represented sixteen moderately handicapped retarded children from across New York State. $96,000.00 was recovered on their behalf and a Special Master appointed to direct their educational placement.
Sincoff v. Ambach, U. S. District Court, Eastern District, New York successfully represented twelve moderately handicapped children from across New York State in their attempt to secure an appropriate education in a residential school.
Dubner v. Ambach, 52 N.Y.2d 910, 419 N.E.2d 337, 437 N.Y.S.2d 659, (1981) Suit was successfully brought to challenge Education Commissioner's Rules creating an artificial blanket prohibition against educating New York special education students in a Sister-State's Public
1992: Loeb House, Inc. renamed its New City residence for the mentally disabled The Charles G. Davis House.
1992: Certificate of Community Service from US Congressman Benjamin A. Gilman.
1992: Citation for Community Service from NYS Senator Samuel Colman.
1992: Citation for Community Service from NYS Assemblyman Alex Gromack.
1992: Certificate of Merit for Outstanding Community Service from NYS Senator Joseph R. Holland.
1992: August 16, 1992, Charles Davis Day proclaimed by Rockland County Legislature.
1992: Distinguished Service Award from the Hon. Edward Gorman, Rockland County Clerk.
1992: Certificate of Merit, Friend of the Handicapped from the Town of Ramapo
1988: Honoring Resolution of the New York State Assembly
1988: October 10, 1986 Charles G. Davis Day proclaimed by Rockland County Legislature
1988: Pro Bono Award from the NYS Bar Association
1987: Certificate of Merit from Loeb House, Inc.
1986: Humanitarian Award, Rockland County Association for Children with Learning Disabilities
1986: Certificate of Community Service from US Congressman Benjamin A. Gilman
1986: Citation for Community Service from Assemblywoman Mary M. McPhillips
1986: Certificate of Merit for Outstanding Community Service from NYS Senator Gene Levy
1986: Award of Appreciation from the Hon. John T. Grant, Rockland County Executive
1986: Certificate of Achievement from Hon. Herbert Reisman, Supervisor Town of Ramapo
1986: Certificate of Appreciation for Community Service from Hon. Kenneth Gribitz, Rockland County District Attorney
1986: Certificate of Merit from the Rockland County Mental Health Association
1983: Service Award of New York State Head Injury Association
1982: Certificate of Appreciation, for outstanding achievement in the promotion of public interest and awareness of the needs and accomplishments of people with disabilities in the International Year of Disabled Persons, 1981, presented by the New York State Office of Advocate for the Disabled.
1982: Distinguished Service Award of Rockland County
1982: Certificate of Merit presented by Senator Linda Winikow in recognition of outstanding community service
1982: Certificate of Merit, Outstanding Community Service, from Assemblyman Gene Levy, International Year of Disabled Persons
1982: Certificate of Merit, The Assembly of the State of New York, presented by Assemblyman, Thomas Morahan
1978: Friend of the Handicapped, The Rockland County Exceptional Child Parent-Teachers Association (Camp Venture)
1978: Distinguished Service Award of Rockland County
1978: Service Award of the Rockland County Association for Children with Learning Disabilities
1978: Certificate of Recognition, St. Thomas Aquinas College